Neck Pain in Ibiza due to computer stress in common and Kath Berry can help with acupuncture.
Computers make us stressed by activating the adrenal ‘fight/flight’ response causing a cascade of stimulatory hormones in the sympathetic nervous system. This over time causes head neck and shoulder tension, headaches anxiety etc.
Acupuncture helps stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system – our “rest and digest” response which means it helps to “un-do” all of the stress responses in the body.
Many people suffer from a new affliction: Computer Stress Syndrome.
Ibiza attracts entrepreneurs, DJs and out of the box thinkers… as a result many people live, work and play on their laptops and mobile devices.
Computers have evolved to be portable – lightweight and durable and as a result they have become a lot smaller and the keyboard has moved closer to the screen.
Mobile devices are held at an angle where we bend our neck forward. The human skull is too heavy for the structure of the neck – a negative consequence of the rate of human evolution. Basically we have evolved faster than what our bodies are built for.
This results in adopting a permanent hunched position
This hunched posture mimics the human’s ‘flight fight’ position: retracting the neck; head tucks in; curling the shoulders forward; arms up and flexed in front of the abdomen to protect the internal organs
Fight / Flight is also called ‘hyperarousal’ or ‘acute stress response’
The problem is that we are maintaining this state/ posture for long periods of time.
“Marc Schoen, author of Your Survival Instinct is Killing You, believes that our intolerance for discomfort is at an all time high. Our fight-or-flight instinct, the survival instinct, is stuck in the on position. We react to circumstances as if we were in life-threatening danger”.
[Image source: Real Contact Fighter]
The flight / fight response sets off a cascade of hormones in the Sympathetic Nervous System.
- Signs and symptoms examples:
- Acceleration of heart and lung action: short, shallow breathing, racing heart
- Inhibition of stomach and upper-intestinal action to the point where digestion slows down or stops (ie poor absorption and digestive problems long term à poor metabolic function)
- Constriction of blood vessels in many parts of the body à poor circulation and headaches
- Liberation of metabolic energy sources (particularly fat and glycogen) for muscular action
- Auditory exclusion (loss of hearing)
- Tunnel vision (loss of peripheral vision) – a huge issue when working on a computer – becoming sucked into cyber land
- So two things are happening simultaneously:
- When we sit at a laptop (and driving a car) we are positioning ourselves in “stress mode”
- Concurrently the psychological stress we feel while working / driving is causing us to adopt a flight / fight posture
- One solution is an ergonomically designed work set up: using an external keyboardand mouse elevated screen
- Avoiding working on the couch or in bed. Setting up a good work-space is essential.
- Taking regular breaks: the human body is designed for movement – “motion is lotion” … This increases circulation.
- Stretching the head, neck and shoulders – especially the “scalenes” and the platysma muscle:
[Image source Scalenes: Pain Science Article Scalenes and Platysma: Teach Me Anatomy]
- Rehydration: essential for cardiovascular health, muscle and joint mobility and excretion of toxins
- Breathing: because short, shallow breathing is a natural response to stress, we need to reverse this by consciously taking long, relaxed and regular breaths. Reprograming the brain to feel more relaxed and in control.
- Massage stimulates blood flow to the muscles: to deliver nutrients and lymph to remove and expel toxic debris. It helps you relax and kneads out knots in the muscles.
- Acupuncture balances the endochrine (hormone) system. This can be translated into the Western medicine terminology as “acupuncture modulates the imbalance between the parasympathetic and sympathetic activity .” Reference >>
- Because acupuncture stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system responsible for “rest and digest”, it helps to “un-do” all of the stress responses in the body
The benefits of acupuncture are:
- promotes blood flow
- stimulates the body’s built-in healing mechanisms
- releases natural painkillers
- reduces both the intensity and perception of chronic pain
- relaxes shortened muscles
- reduces stress
What is cupping suction therapy?
- Cupping / suction therapy promote blood and lymph circulation – just like massage but with a pulling or drawing up effect rather than pressing or rubbing. Unlike massage though, cupping has an additional benefit of drawing toxins to the surface where they can be expelled via the skin.
- When it comes to detoxification, the most important organs are the skin, lymphatic system, digestive system, liver, and the kidneys. Reference >>
- So cupping helps with circulation and detoxification.
The AcuDetox combination therapy of massage, cupping and acupuncture offers fast and effective results for neck pain. Book an appointment today with Kath Berry whatsapp 638423575 today.